Unité de Malherbologie & Agronomie
Weed Science & Agronomy
Bayer Code : medtr
Synonym(s) of Sc. name: Medicago tribuloides Desr.
Classification: Leguminosae, Dicotyledonous
Common name: strong-spined medick
Synonym(s) of Common name:
Name per country: DE : Gestutzter Schneckenklee ; ES : medicago truncado ; FR : luzerne tronquée ; IT : erba medica troncata ; PT : luzerna-cortada ; EN : strong-spined medick ;
Biological type: Annual
- Cotyledons elliptic to ovate, rounded tip, more or less stalked.
- First leaf rounded, acute at the apex. The later 3-foliolate.
- Height: 15-40 cm. Plant covered with very short hairs.
- Stem angular.
- Leaves with leaflets toothed in the upper part. Blade of leaflets very hairy. Stipules deeply toothed.
- Flowers yellow solitary or in pairs, terminal on flowering branches lengthening into a slender awn, branches shorter than the leaves. Flowers on a peduncle shorter than the calyx -tube. Standard longer than the keel and the keel longer than the wings.
- Fruit 7-19 mm in diameter, cylindrical or somewhat globose, flattened above and below, in a spiral of 4-6 turns; with an outer keel-like border covered with hooked spines. Sides smooth, not reticulate. Fruit indehiscent. - Rare in crops.
- Risk of confusion with very hairy species and with species of Medicago with divided stipules ( Medicago rigidula (L.) All.).
- Biological type: annual.
Mistake with: Medicago rigidula , Medicago
Ecological profile (click on flags): Present Rare Rare