Unité de Malherbologie & Agronomie
Weed Science & Agronomy
Bayer Code : lthtu
Synonym(s) of Sc. name:
Classification: Leguminosae, Dicotyledonous
Common name: tuberous pea
Synonym(s) of Common name:
Name per country: DE : Knollen-Platterbse ; ES : alverja tuberosamalva ; FR : gesse tubéreuse ; IT : cicerchia tuberosa ; PT : ; EN : tuberous pea ; NL : aardaker ;
Biological type: Perennial with tubers
- Cotyledons invisible (hypogeal germination).
- Leaves pinnately divided.
- Height: 30-100 cm. Plant glabrous.
- Stem prostrate or scrambling, slender, very branched and tangled. Roots bearing tubers often ovoid.
- Leaves with 2 elliptic-elongate leaflets. Leaflets short-stalked, on a wingless and slightly chanelled petiole. At first without tendril, in the next leaves the petiole is ended in a simple then branched tendril.
- Flowers bright red-carmin 2-5 in axillary unilateral raceme on a peduncle longer than the leaf.
- Fruit : pod 25-35 x 4-6 mm, cylindrical, glabrous, dull, brown. 3-6 seeds, 3-4 mm, angular, brown, shining.
- Plant which propagates with tubers, different by size and form, underground sproutings are slender, early woody, swollen here and there.
- Risk of confusion with Lathyrus hirsutus L. (before flowering).
- Biological type: Perennial with tubers.
Mistake with: Lathyrus hirsutus
Ecological profile (click on flags): Present Rare Present Present