Unité de Malherbologie & Agronomie
Weed Science & Agronomy
Bayer Code : hisin
Synonym(s) of Sc. name: Sinapsis incana L.
Classification: Cruciferae, Dicotyledonous
Common name: hoary mustard
Synonym(s) of Common name:
Name per country: DE : Grauer Bastardsenf ; ES : jaramago blanco ; FR : faux rapistre blanchâtre ; IT : senape canuta ; PT : ineixas ; EN : hoary mustard ;
Biological type: Biennial
- Cotyledons cordate at the apex.
- Leaves divided.
- Height: 40-90 cm. Plant hairy and whitish.
- Stem ascending, divided in few-leafy branches very much lengthening with the progress of flowering.
- Leaves green-whitish. Lower leaves pinnately lobes with terminal lobes longer and with cartilagineous white and flattened warts. Upper leaves lanceolate, entire.
- Flowers yellow, small, with nearly equal sepals at the base and very spreading. Short peduncles.
- Fruit : siliqua with valves ending in a persistent style swollen like a ball. Valve with a principal vein. Seeds in one row from below to above. Ripe fruit more or less twisted.
- Plant eaten as green salad in some regions of Italy.
- Risk of confusion with Rapistrum rugosum (L.) All..
- Biological type: Biennial.
Mistake with: Rapistrum rugosum
Ecological profile (click on flags): Present Present Present