Unité de Malherbologie & Agronomie
Weed Science & Agronomy
Bayer Code : broav
Synonym(s) of Sc. name:
Classification: Gramineae, Monocotyledonous
Common name: field brome
Synonym(s) of Common name:
Name per country: DE : Acker-Trespe ; ES : bromo de campo ; FR : brome des champs ; IT : forasacco dei campi ; PT : ; EN : field brome ; NL : akkerdravik ;
Biological type: Annual
- Shoot rolled, cylindrical leaf sheath.
- Lamina 20-50 times longer than wide, leaf more or less hairy.
-Ligule membranous, dentate, auricles absent.
- Height: 25-100 cm. Cespitose.
- Stem not hairy.
- Leaves green, flat, elongated, pointed, hairy. Underside often shiny. Anthocyan marked. Leaf sheath fused upto 2/3 of it's length. Middle vein white to yellow at base.
- Inflorescence: purplish panicle, pyramidal, very slack, flat erect or inclined at the end, with long clustered branches, scabrous, half-verticillate. Narrow lanceolate spikelets, linear
5-13, flowers always imbricate, unequal glumes with 3-5 veins for lower glumes and 7-9 for upper glumes with straight awn.
- Fruits dehiscent, releasing caryopsis enveloped by glumella and present wand.
- Species rare in crops.
- Risk of confusion at seedling stage of all others species of
- Biological type: annual.
Mistake with: Bromus
Ecological profile (click on flags): Rare Rare Rare Rare Present