Unité de Malherbologie & Agronomie
Weed Science & Agronomy
Bayer Code : amima
Synonym(s) of Sc. name: Apium ammi Crantz, Ammi diversifolium Noulet.
Classification: Umbelliferae, Dicotyledonous
Common name: bullwort
Synonym(s) of Common name:
Name per country: DE : Große Knorpelmöhre ; ES : aneo bastardo ; FR : ammi élevé ; IT : ; PT : âmio-maior ; EN : bullwort ;
Biological type: Annual
- Cotyledons very restricted elongated (> 10 times longer than wide).
- Entire leaves, rounded with spaced teeth.
- Height: 30-100 cm.
- Stem with fine grooves, branched at the top.
- Basal leaves in rosette; pinnate leaves of pale green, shiny; slightly glazed. Other leaves petiolate, cauline with short petiole or almost sessile. Upper leaves with linear division, finely dentate.
- Flowers white united in umbel of 20-30 rays with indented petals. Involucre with numerous pinnatifid bracts very elongated towards the tip.
- Fruits ovoid achenes of 1.5-2 mm, laterally compressed, forming 2 small sized mericarps, surrounded with disk shaped stylopod and 2 divergent curved styles. Persisting carpophore on inflorescence after fruit fall.
- Plant acrid with sharp taste, used as diuretic, antispasmodic property.
- Biological type: annual.
Ecological profile (click on flags): Present Present Present Present